Summer is here and we are already seeing lots of people out on their bikes. We have some great events coming up to get you to go by bike.
Join the Alaska chapter of the American Institute of Architects and Bicycle Commuters of Anchorage in a friendly competition to encourage bicycle/pedestrian/public transit commuting and see which businesses can get the greatest percentage of employees commuting to work by bike, foot or bus. You can register today on our competition page. If you don’t see your team registered, register yourself and your team and then share the commuter challenge link with teammates. Others at your place of employment should be then be able to individually register and join your team. For rules and more information check out the Rules page.
June 4 – 10th Anniversary Bike to Work Day!
Hard to believe its been 10 years and how much Anchorage has grown as a bike city. We are now a Silver designated Bicycle Friendly Community by the League and have seen the numbers of bicyclists jump leaps and bounds over the last several years. BCA has been along for this great ride,encouraging people to participate in this yearly event by helping host and organize Bike Stations across the city. This year we will have 14 awesome stations hosted by:
- Alaska Department of Fish & Game
- Alaska Public Media & APU
- Alaska Regional Hospital
- Anchorage Police Department
- ANTHC & Southcentral Foundation
- Bayshore Clubhouse
- BCA’s Bacon Station sponsored by Spenard Roadhouse, Kaladi Brothers Coffee, Steamdot Coffee, Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge and Midnight Sun Brewing Co. (guest tabling includes: Bike MS, Tour de Cure, Alaska Injury Prevention Center, Speedway Cycles, Bike Me Anchorage, Off the Chain Collective, Alaskiters, jugglers, with more details to come – this is sure to be the biggest and liveliest BTWD station yet)
- Calista Corporation
- CRW Engineering Group
- Darkhorse Coffee Co.
- Denali Federal Credit Union
- Kumin Associates
- PDC Inc. Engineers & Bettisworth North Trail Angels Smoothie Stop
- Public Employees Local 71
- RIM Architects & Corvus Design
- Trek Store of Anchorage & House of Bread
- Visit Anchorage
You can find the location for each of our great Bike Station hosts here.
And make sure to register for Bike to Work Day too.
June 7 – Bike Parking at Run for Women
More details to come – but plan on biking to the start/finish and leaving your bike with us. It will be way more fun and hassle free than driving!